During the course of the Vet Futures project Sally Williams & Associates carried out a range of research activities in order to build an evidence base from which an action plan could be developed.
- Desk-based research looking at issues facing the veterinary profession in the UK, as well as in the United States and Europe, and to consider trends in other relevant professions
- Giving consideration to the current profile of the profession and its impact, including working trends, numbers, rewards, health and wellbeing, changing markets, use of technologies, evidence-based practice, client expectations and other pressures
- Focus groups with members of RCVS and BVA Councils and with pet owners
- Phone interviews with representatives of stakeholder organisations
- Phone interviews with individual veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses
- Phone interviews with bodies representing end-users of veterinary services, for example, farmers and pet owners
- Survey amongst approximately 750 BVA members
- A broader survey of vets, VNs and practice managers
- Gathering data via social media, the internet and meetings
We published results right the way through the project: some highlights can be found below, and a full archive is in our “Resources” section.